Two levels of efficacy
Two levels can be distinguished at which imagery works:
- Task- or problem level. Imagination is used here for a specific task. For example, for a performance to be delivered, or for the development of a skill, or to solve a problem or alleviate a complaint.
- Depth level. Here the image takes on a more far-reaching meaning and existential value, and a more metaphorical and symbolic character. Making use of the symbolic character of images increases the effectiveness in the long term and usually has a meaningful and emancipating effect.
Areas of application
- Personal development.
- Education; development trajectories.
- Career guidance.
- In organizations: in team building, vision development and task-oriented assignments.
- In the development of creativity; inspiration; meaning.
- In case of emotional and psychological problems; depression, burnout, trauma processing, anxiety.
- Stress management.
- In relieving physical symptoms and processing illness.
- The Imagery Toolkit project is an example of this.
- Top sport and performance in general.